Today marks a momentous day on the calendar for TV connoisseurs worldwide; the Simpsons turns a remarkable 20 years old. This television phenomenon has inspired many other shows and has uplifted many spirits throughout its phenomenal 20-year run.
To pay homage to The Simpsons family (consisting of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie), their neighbours, communities, and pets we thought we would share a few little-known facts.
– Bart’s full name is Bartholomew Jojo Simpson
– Bart is based on Dennis the Menace; little surprise there
– Many of the characters on The Simpsons get their names from streets in Portland, Oregon
– Matt Groening is the ‘voice’ behind Maggie’s sucking
– Lisa celebrated her 8th birthday on two separate episodes; a family that never ages
– It takes somewhere between 6 – 8 months to make each episode; it really is a labour of love
– During the opening sequence, Maggie is listed to cost $847.63 at the cash register. This is the same amount it would cost to raise a baby in the US in a year
– Bumblebee guy’s real name is Pedro; aha moment right there
– The Simpsons were blamed by the then President George Bush for society’s ills. He cried out that American families should be less like The Simpsons and more like The Waltons, and the First Lady at the time described the show as the “dumbest thing” she ever saw
And as a closing thought a pearl of wisdom from the one and only Homer Simpson “Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals… except the weasel.”
We salute you, The Simpson and thank you for your view on the world. Here is to many more years.
Are you a fan of The Simpsons franchise? Drop us a comment below and let us know if you love this hilarious yellow-skinned family.