Privacy concerns and what you reveal to different people on your Facebook account is becoming a huge concern, for example, Bosses and parents don’t need to see you out and about painting the town red. This could lead to embarrassing moments on a Monday morning. But no stress, we have just the answer for you: friend lists.
Setting up a friend list will ensure that you get to cherry-pick who sees what information you add or share on Facebook. A win-win situation for all.
You can easily create a friend list just follow these steps (and with the limitations being 100 lists and 1,000 friends in each, we safely assume that there is more than enough room to play in):
- On your Facebook homepage click on the friends icon (in the navigation bar in the left column)
- Now click on the pencil / aka ‘Edit friends’ (top right)
- Next up, click on the ‘+’ / aka ‘Create a list (top right)
- A pop-up appears called ‘Create a new list’, in the empty field you can now add the name that you want to call this list (for example, family or industry etc)
- Now you can add friends to this list. You can also toggle between the views of ‘selected’ and ‘all’ friends, allowing you to keep tabs of who has been added to this specific list.
- Finally, click on ‘Create list’ and you are done.
Modifying friends list
If at any point you want to edit or delete the list you just have to click the ‘edit‘ link that appears on the right of the list name, which will be in the ‘Edit friend’ category (see the above steps 1 – 2 to find it).
Limiting what friends see
When you next update your status, you can edit if you only want select lists to see it:
- After you have typed your update click on the lock icon (to the left of the ‘Share’ button)
- Scroll down and select ‘Customize’
- On the drop-down menu choose ‘Make This Visible To’ and select ‘Specific People’
- Type in the friends list name that should see this status update
You can also edit what general information they have access to on your profile:
- Click ‘Account’ (top right of your Facebook profile)
- Choose ‘Privacy Settings’ and then ‘Customize settings’ (has a pencil at the bottom left of the main text box)
- For each option provided on the left you will be able to toggle who can see it by clicking the drop down menu (on the right) and choosing ‘Specific People’
- Fill in your desired friend list and voila
Hope this helps you make Facebook more friendly, especially now that our entire life collides on this one platform.
(Original post from All Facebook.)