You remember BlackBerry? Yeah, the smartphone company. The company has recently revealed the all new BlackBerry PRIV Android powered smartphone and claims to have created one of the most secure smartphones out there, explaining that:
Now for the first time ever, BlackBerry and Google have combined the most secure mobile platform with the most flexible application ecosystem to create a device that will revolutionize the way you look at smartphones
PRIV stands for privacy after all so here’s what the company has done to ensure users feel save and secure, while still enjoying the benefits of a user-friendly Android experience:
- BlackBerry’s Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.
- Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven’t been tampered with.
- A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.
- FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption on by default to protect your privacy.
- The BlackBerry Infrastructure, a secure distributed global network that transmits petabytes of encrypted data to and from the world’s most powerful leaders and professionals.
- BES12, the leading Enterprise Mobility Management platform used by the world’s most powerful governments and corporations.
The BlackBerry PRIV also comes with BlackBerry’s DTEK app pre-installed. DTEK was created to help you protect your privacy by letting you know which apps are accessing and collecting your private information. DTEK also makes recommendations on how to improve your security settings.