BlizzCon 2015 is in full swing and although the keynote address is over, the expo is still happening. What went down during Blizzard Entertainment‘s keynote? Well, we have everything you need to know.
Every BlizzCon has a stellar opening ceremony. This year’s started off with StarCraft and the history behind the game. It gave you a brief history on how StarCraft was born and how big it actually is today. The opening ceremony then led into StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void as Blizzard explained how they will be adding more content into the game as the months go buy using what they are calling “Mission Packs”.
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
Blizzard showed off a brand new trailer for the game, which excited the audience and fans (like me) all around the world.
Warcraft – The Beginning
One of the most anticipated moments of the event was the reveal of the first Warcraft movie trailer. We had seen it leaked before, and we saw the teasers, but Blizzard finally brought the full trailer into the light.
Heroes of the Storm – New Characters and Battleground
Blizzard first demonstrated its brand new game mode for their popular MOBA, Heroes of the Storm. The game mode, which they are calling “The Arena”, looked like a battleground where players would just fight other players to death in a battle arena. The battleground is smaller which makes the battles much more intense. Blizzard revealed that they will be releasing this later next year.
Blizzard also revealed new playable heroes for the game. Greymane, a ranged hero that can turn into a werewolf. Lunara, a dryad support class, and Cho and Cho’Gall, a two-headed Orc. They also revealed the new battleground called Towers of Doom.
Hearthstone: League of Explorers
There is a new expansion coming to the popular card game Hearthstone which will see players exploring Azeroth‘s archaeological sites to uncover treasure. Player can expect the following new additions to the game:
- New Cards: The League of Explorers contains 4 wings packed with fiendish bosses, puzzling traps, and ancient mysteries for you to discover. When you overcome a boss or an encounter for the first time, you will earn brand-new cards for your collection!
- Legendary: When you defeat all the challenges in a wing for the first time, you will be rewarded with that wing’s legendary card – for example, Elise Starseeker!
- League of Explorers
- Class Challenges: The League of Explorers also includes nine all-new class challenges that task you with using a special pre-built deck to prove your skill. Succeed, and the new class cards are yours.
- New Game Boards: Immerse yourself in the adventure with all-new playing fields!
- Meet the League: Make friends with renowned explorer and fearless dwarven historian Brann Bronzebeard and the other members of the League of Explorers: dashing treasure hunter extraordinaire Reno Jackson, brilliant night elf scholar Elise Starseeker, and gentleman (gentle-fish?) murloc adventurer Sir Finley Mrrgglton!
- New Keyword: The League of Explorers introduces a new keyword that lets you do some digging of your own: Discover! You’ll treasure the opportunity to dig up cards and select the one you need the most!
- Heroic Mode: If you’re ready for a challenge, you can try taking on the Heroic Mode version of any mission that you’ve cleared. This extra-tough game mode is designed for players eager to test their puzzle-solving skills against incredibly powerful opponents. Bring your best deck and your sharp wits.
Blizzard revealed that the first wing will release on 12 November 2015.
World of Warcraft: Legion
Just when you thought it was safe to get a social life, Blizzard gave you yet another reason to stick to digital friends with their spectacular cinematic trailer of the latest World of Warcraft Expansion.
Along with the trailer, Blizzard also revealed various new gameplay features like the new class, the Demon Hunter, new artefacts, new locations, and the ability to boost to level 100.
Overwatch headed to PS4, and Xbox One – Not free to play
Everyone has been asking what the deal is with Blizzard’s latest shooter. Well, we now know that the game will not be free to play, and it will indeed be released for PS4, and Xbox One when it launches sometimes in June 2016. Every version will also ship with 21 heroes.
Be sure to check out our gameplay video of the game to see just how amazing it is.
Blizzard also revealed a collector’s edition of the game and 3 new playable heroes:
- Genji (offensive)- The cybernetic ninja assassin who can reflect enemy attacks with his blade.
- D.Va (tank) – A former pro-gaming superstar who pilots an experimental military mech.
- Mei (defensive) – A scientist who uses climate-manipulating technology in battle.
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Patch 2.4
Blizzard has assured gamers that they are still in full development mode on Diablo III, a title that was released back in 2012. They showed off some new locations and features that will be heading to the game when patch 2.4 releases sometime in the future:
- New Zone: Greyhollow Island
- Expanded Areas: The Eternal Woods and Royal Quarters
- Revamped Set Items
- New Feature: Set Dungeons
- New Feature: Empowered Rifts
- New Legendaries
- Revised Buff User Interface
- More Stash Space
So there you have the Blizzard news for the year. Things look pretty great for anyone who plays any of Blizzard’s titles, be it WoW, Diablo, or Heroes of the Storm. You can also watch the entire keynote right below: