We’ve put together a guide to downloading your PS4 games to your PC for safe keeping and faster download rates:
How does it work?
This method basically copies the link in which the PS4 uses to download the files from the PSN, to your PC and lets you download the game from a web browser, or Internet Download Manager (recommended). You then direct your PS4 back to your PC and it will then copy it over your network and install it.
What is the benefit?
This method is faster than downloading off the PS4. It also lets you store your games on your PC, be in on an external hard drive or on a USB. This means that if you are tight for space, you can delete them off your PS4 and when you want to download them again, just repeat the same steps below.
What to know before you start
- No, this program does not allow you to pirate PS4 games, you will still need to own the license on the console in which you start the download from.
- Yes, you can copy the same files across to multiple PS4s if they have the download in the “Download” list.
- Yes, this works for updates too. You just follow the same method as if you were downloading a game.
- No, you cannot copy these files to a USB and install them on a PS4, you have to use this proxy method.
- It is faster to copy back to your PS4 via a LAN connection, I recommend this.
- I highly recommend using Internet Download Manager as you can queue them up and let them download one after another, so you can get on with your day and let them do their thing. This is especially useful when downloading games and updates larger than 4GB as they are downloaded in parts. I will explain this all, do not worry.
Step 1 – Download the necessary programs
You will need one program to get the process started, and another to make use of the queue process.
PSX Download Helper 1.8
For your ease of use I have uploaded my English copy of the program to my OneDrive. Go ahead and download it from this link.
Internet Download Manager
Internet Download Manager needs to be downloaded in the time being. Head on over to their official site and sign up. Sure it is a paid program, but it is really worth it, plus it is a once off fee. Your should have this program already as it not only speeds up your downloads, but it lets you download from YouTube and other streaming sites.
Step 2 – Set everything up
Extract the PXS Downloader 1.8 and launch the PSXDownloadHelper.exe. I normally run it as admin just in case.
- Take note of the IP address that has been given in the top bar as you will need enter this into your PS4 later on.
- Click on Start.
- You will now be welcomed to this screen. There is really nothing to this, really.
- Log shows you what is currently downloading on y0ur PS4
- History shows you everything you have ever downloaded using the program
- Offline Raising and Offline Setting I have never used.
- Settings is where you will find the colour theme and the setting compile multiple files.
Step 3 – Set up PS4
Head over to your PS4 with that IP address that I told you to remember in Step 2. Head into Settings>Network>Set up internet connection, follow these steps
- Choose Wi-Fi or LAN, depending on what connection you use
- Select Custom
- Select the connection you want to use if using Wi-Fi
- For the following select the following
- IP Address – Automatic
- DHCP Host Name – Do not specify
- DNS – Automatic
- MTU Setting –Automatic
- Now when you get to Use Proxy, select Use.
- Keep the port the same and enter the IPS address that PSX Downloader gave you.
- Complete the setup by testing the connection.
- If everything is okay, then you will get a successful test. This means that your PS4 is now connected to your PS4 using the PSX Downloader.
Step 3 -Download your game
- Start you download by starting it on the PlayStation Store. If you have already skip this
- Head on over to your download list and if the download is paused start it and wait 10 seconds, and then pause it again. If you have just started your download, pause it, as the program already has it on record.
Step 4 – Download your game on y0ur PC
- Click on Copy
- In your web browser:
- Go into the url and Paste the link.
- You will now see that the file has already started downloading
- This is your PS4 game by the way, pretty easy!
- If using Internet Download Manager
- Click on Add URL
- The link should already be there and click download
- It will now download your file
- You see that link you copied? Notice that there is a part number in the middle of it. For example my Start Wars: Battlefront file had this BATTLEFRONT00000_0.pkg?
- All you need to do is change the 00_0.pgk to 00_1.pgk.
- Do this multiple times as the file could be larger. For Star Wars: Battlefront, it went up to 00_4.pkg. This meant that there were 5 parts in the file, including part 00_o.pkg. The last part is normally less than 4GB which means you have hit the final part in the file.
Step 5 – Copy the files back
- On that bar on the PSX Downloader, you will see a Select button, click on it and navigate through Windows until you find the file you downloaded from the link in the box above. Basically just find the downloaded game. Note if you turned off your PC or the program crashed for some reason, then all you will need to do is just connect to PSX Downloader again on your PS4 and resume and pause your download again. This will make it appear again.
- Once you have selected the file, resume the download on your PS4 and it will now copy across from your PC to your PS4 in seconds. Pretty easy right? You can then copy this file to a safe place on your PC, or delete is, as your PS4 has the game installed.
Multiple part download?
If however you downloaded a game that is larger than 4GB, which is probably the case, then all you need to do is put all the parts in one folder on your PC, and follow this easy step.
- On PSX Downloader, click on Settings
- Where it says AutoFind Replace File , make sure this is ticked and click on choose
- Go to the folder where you copied all the parts into, and click okay
- Head back to the Log page and click on select, find one part of the file and click okay
- Resume your download on your PS4
- PSX Downloader will now pick up that the game is over 4GB and copy it all across as if it was one part.
So there you have the simplest way to download PS4 games to your PC for faster speeds, and safekeeping.
One last thing I do, is that I add the downloads into a schedule on Internet Download Manager so they just download periodically. You can see this below: