When you sell a car you not only open up a lot of space in your garage, but you could also potentially make some extra cash. South African classifieds website, Gumtree has put together 7 easy tips to help you sell a car:
1. Paper Work
Before any transaction takes place, it’s important to get the paper work in order.
You will need to locate the following documents and information before you can sell your car:
- Proof of ownership;
- Valid licence disc;
- Duplicate copy of your car’s registration documents, which you can get at your local council when you take your ID.
2. The Book
Find your service and warranty books (usually located in the cubbyhole) and make sure it’s up to date.
3. Service History
It can add value to your car when you have a documented full-service history. It also makes your car more appealing to buyers as it’s proof that you’ve made the effort to maintain your car.
4. Service It
If your vehicle is due for a service then it’s important to have it serviced to enable you to present the potential buyer with a documented full-service history (as described above).
5. Fresh Tyres and Bodywork
To make the car look more appealing ensure that your tyres aren’t worn and replace them if they are. Fix dents and polish scratches to improve the overall look of your car.
6. Deep Clean
Take out all the stuff that has accumulated in the various nooks and crannies of the car you want to sell. Be sure to check the cubbyhole, under the seats, in the doors, in the cupholders, the boot and any other space where stuff could’ve gathered.
Once you’ve done a bit of housecleaning then it would be a good idea to invest in getting your car valeted to ensure that everything is cleaned thoroughly and the interior can be steam cleaned.
7. Get Roadworthy
A Roadworthy Certificate doesn’t cost so much, but it can add a lot of value to car. A potential buyer can have peace of mind that the vehicle you wish to sell is safe to drive on the roads.
Once you have prepped your vehicle for sale, load your free ad on Gumtree, which includes the following:
- A reasonable price – use the Gumtree Price Checker to check the current national price, average price by kilometres, total number of current listings within that category as well as the most common colours searched for at the time.
- Clear photographs of your vehicle from all angles that clearly depict the condition.
- A catchy headline as well as a short description, which includes the model, year, mileage, history and condition.
- That all the necessary paperwork is ready for resale and on hand. Be sure to alert the possible buyer about any issues.
- Your email address and contact number.