The Pokémon GO Buddy System is live for Trainers around the world. But how does it all work, and what exactly can you get from the system? We have a guide to the Buddy System, and everything you need to know about it.
What is the Buddy System?
The Buddy System in Pokémon GO lets Trainers select a Pokémon to travel with them. Although you do not actually see the Pokémon next to you, it will appear when you are in your menu system. The Buddy System, in theory, lets you gain Candies for that specific Pokémon you have selected, by walking with it selected as your Buddy Pokémon.
Walk enough with it, and you will get Candies from it, and if you really determined to make it your friend, then the longer you walk, the closer you and the Pokémon will look in the menu. For example, some Pokémon will move up to your shoulder if you walk more with them, to represent a stronger bond.
How Do I Get Candies?
This all depends on the Pokémon you have selected as your Buddy Pokémon. There are three tiers to the system, 1km, 3km, and 5km. These distances depend on the Pokémon you have around. Below is a table, showing you what Pokémon will drop Candies, at what distance.
|1km Buddy Pokémon||3km Buddy Pokémon||5km Buddy Pokémon|
You can also check the amount you need, but tapping on the Pokémon itself in the game. The Legendary Pokémon that you see above might not be in the game yet, but data mining has shown that they will fall under the tiers as you can see. This would be a great way to Evolve these Pokémon, as they will be so rare, making walking in the Buddy System an awesome way to get Candies to Evolve them.
Tips For The Buddy System
- You will not get XP from walking with your Buddy Pokémon.
- Your Buddy Pokémon will not receive any CP for being by your side.
- There is no limit to the amount of Candies you can get on a daily basis, so walk until you have blisters.
- You cannot assign Buddy Pokémon to a Gym, so make sure you choose a weaker version of that Pokémon to be your Buddy in the Buddy System, as you will reset any walking distance if you select a new Buddy Pokémon.
- Evolving a Buddy Pokémon will reset the walking distance, so be sure to collect the Candies before you do so.
For more Pokémon GO content, visit our Pokémon GO Hub.